The Mi Pad 3 tablet was released recently by Xiaomi as an upgrade to the Mi Pad 2. Well, you won’t be blamed for mistaking it for Mi Pad 2, the only differences being a slight upgrade of the chipset, slightly larger battery capacity and an increase in both RAM and the internal storage capacity.
As the saying goes “if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it”, so the company incorporated most of the features of Mi Pad 2 in the new Mi Pad 3 tablet.
- ROM - 128 GB, RAM - 6 GB, Qualcomm Snapdragon 845, Surpasses flagship-level performance, 10W wireless charger -Included with the phone
- 93.4% screen-to-body ratio, 6.39" Full Screen Display, virtually all screen, Multifunctional Magnetic Slider, An all new type of screen interaction
- AI music pairing for instant audiovisual beauty, 24MP + 2MP-front camera, Real-time video background blurring, 12MP + 12MP rear camera, Ultra light-sensitive AI dual camera
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2, 3G bands: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1800 / 1900 / 2100, 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100)
- International Model, Does not have US Warranty. Will work with Most GSM SIM cards in U.S. and world Including AT&T, T-Mobile, Etc. Will NOT work with CDMA Carriers Such as Verizon, Sprint, Boost. FCC ID: 2AFZZ-RMSC3DG
Layout and Looks
The all-metal body, sleek design together with its moderate size (7.83 x 5.2 x 0.31 inches) gives the tablet a premium feel. Furthermore, 0.3280 kg weight and 7.14mm thickness is small enough not to make it feel bulky or heavy.
At the top front of the tablet, it has a 5 Megapixel camera and next to it is the ambient light sensor among other sensors.
Furthermore, the ultra-thin all-metal body houses the 13 MP rear camera, two high-quality speakers and 3.5mm audio jack that supports microphones.
Horsepower, Storage and Display
The Mi Pad 3 is powered by the MTK8176 Hexa Core CPU, which can clock 2.1GHz speed (2.1GHz for each of the first two cores plus 1.7 GHz for each for the rest of 4 cores).
If you like to multitask, this is the tablet for you because it has 4 GB RAM and internal memory of 64GB and hence capable of supporting heavy applications running concurrently.
The 7.9-inch display of the tablet advances good watching and browsing experience while the 2048×1536 resolution enhances color and clarity. Moreover, its screen is a capacitive multi-touch one with 326 pixels per inch (326ppi).
OS, UI and Included Software
The Xiaomi Mi Pad 3 runs MIUI 8 on top of Android 7.0 Nougat operating system – which is awesome. It comes with many important features such as the Quick Settings option which appears at the top of the notification panel. Also, there is a good feature to automatic start apps.
At the app settings, when the tablet is switched on, you can add notifications to the auto start. It’s similar to how you’d set up a laptop. In my opinion, it is a pretty cool feature.
What’s more, the tablet comes with preinstalled basic software such as calendar, alarm, Gravity sensing system, OTG, light sensing system among others.
Networking and Peripherals
As expected, Mi Pad 3 comes with various wireless network capabilities which include 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (dual band: 2.5GHz and 5GHz) wireless internet which ensures smooth surfing and Bluetooth 4.0 for file transfer purposes. It’s packaged with one USB cable and one power adapter.
Performance in the Field
The MTK8176 is much faster as compared to the Mi Pad 2, but in the processor portion only. Launching applications and switching between the apps is very fast. However, it is noticeably slower as compared to the Snapdragon flagship.
The 4GB RAM gives the MTK8176 the capability to multitask superbly. When we move on to graphics performance, there is no much to be said about it because the device isn’t outstanding.
However, it has a battery capacity of 6600mAh; a slight improvement from the one for Mi Pad 2 and the battery can last up to 12 hours’ video playing time.
- Runs Android 7.0
- Highly portable since it is thin and light.
- High-quality speakers.
- Faster EMMC 5 storage
- Fast processing speed thanks to the 4 GB RAM, 64GB and the six cores.
- Top build quality
- No MicroSD support.
- Mono audio in the video yet it has two microphones.
- Standard 5volt 2A charger.
- A slight upgrade from the chipset of Mi Pad 2
- Apart from the quality of the camera being poor, it has no camera settings.
- Some UI stutters here and there.
The Ideal Buyer
Xiaomi’s Mi Pad 3 tablet is a good choice for the price considering that other tablets with the same specifications cost more. Therefore, it is ideal for people who are looking to save some money and at the same time get a device which can meet their needs satisfactorily.
Besides, it is not hard to imagine employers buying the device for their employees because it is an embodiment of all the qualities of an all-round tablet.