With each passing month, tablets get closer and closer to matching laptops in the firepower and usability departments. In the Windows world, the Surface Pro 4 is widely regarded as the hybrid tab to beat at the moment.
What many consumers don’t realize is that the Surface isn’t the only game in town. The Lenovo Miix 510 aims to unseat Microsoft’s flagship tablet by offering a robust yet affordable take on the hybrid tablet paradigm.
- 2-IN-1 LAPTOP: This convertible laptop includes a detachable keyboard and unique watchband hinges that adjust up to 150°, helping you find the perfect viewing angle for work or play
- THEATER-LIKE MULTIMEDIA: 12-inch Detachable has a vibrant, full high-definition touchscreen display with Dolby-enabled stereo speakers, perfect for binge watching on the couch or listening to your favorite music
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: This portable computer is equipped with an Intel Core i5 processor for blazing-fast performance, plus an 8 hour battery life to suit your life on-the-go
- INTEGRATED CAMERA: Snap high-quality photos with the rear-facing 5 MP camera, video chat with friends and keep background noise at bay with the dual-array microphone with noise-cancellation technology
- MAXIMUM CREATIVITY: Capture your imagination by writing and drawing directly on the screen with the Lenovo Active Pen, or use the integrated precision touchpad which can respond to the lightest of touches or the firmest of clicks
Layout and Aesthetics
The Miix 510 is a typical hybrid that measures 11.81 inches wide, 8.07 inches high and 9.9 millimeters thick. With the included keyboard, it weighs in at 2.68 pounds. In terms of looks, it’s basically the Surface Pro 4 with “watchband-style” hinges connecting the kickstand to the back.
2.0MP front and 5.0MP rear cameras allow for web chats and halfway-decent photography. Exterior controls include a power button and volume rockers.
Horsepower, Storage & Display
The entry-level Miix 510 includes 4GB of RAM, a Core i3-6100U and a 128GB SSD. The top-tier model has a Core i5-6200U with Intel HD 520 Graphics, 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage.
The display on either option is a 12.2-inch FHD+ screen with 1,920×1,200 resolution and a 16:10 aspect ratio good for 186ppi. All Miix 510 models boast 10-point multi-touch capability for a superb mobile experience.
OS, UI and Included Software
The version of Windows 10 Home that comes with the Miix 510 is pretty stock for the most part. The only major feature missing is Windows Hello facial recognition. You’ll also get a few custom apps like Lenovo ID, Lenovo App Explorer, Lenovo PC Manager and Lenovo Cloud Disk.
Any other official Windows apps that you might want to tack on can be obtained through the Microsoft Store.
Networking and Peripherals
When it comes to extensibility, the Miix 510 has USB Type-C and USB 3.0 ports yet sadly no microSD card slot. Wireless capabilities include 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 and 4G LTE.
The accessory that Miix 510 buyers most appreciate is the included Lenovo Folio keyboard. This stylish full-QWERTY model includes a trackpad and features a faux-leather finish.
There’s also the Lenovo Active Pen with 2,048 levels of pressure sensitivity available for $40.
Performance in the Field
Overall, the Miix 510 stacks up favorably against the competition. It notches scores of 3,241 in PCMark8 Home and 1,414 in 3DMark 11. Under the multi-core version of GeekBench 3.0, it manages a score of 6,361.
It stays relatively cool while playing HD video and achieves up to 6 hours of battery life under typical conditions. What’s more, the keyboard’s 1.5mm of travel delivers a true laptop-like typing experience.
Pros and Cons
On the one hand, the Miix 510 boasts a terrific design, great internals and an ergonomically pleasing experience for most users. Its build quality is right up there with the Surface Pro 4 while costing hundreds of dollars less than Microsoft’s marquee tablet.
The only downsides are the lack of an SD card slot and slightly worse battery life than some of the pricier hybrids on the market.
Miix 510 Technical Specifications
- Operating System: Windows 10
- Screen Size: 12.2 inches
- Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1200 pixels
- Pixels Per Inch: 186
- Processor model: Intel Core i3+
- RAM: 4 GB
- Disk Space: 128 GB
- Battery Life: 7.5 hours
- Battery capacity: 51Wh
- Weight in lbs: 1.98 pounds
- Weight in kg: 0.90
- Dimensions: 300x205x9.9mm
The Ideal Miix 510 Buyer
If you’d like a Surface Pro 4 but only want to pay about $600 for it, the Miix 510 is the hybrid for you. A topnotch keyboard being included in the purchase price is the icing on the cake. If you need a 2-in-1 tablet for general office computing, this tablet is a steal.
Long story short, the Miix 510 is an appealing purchase for a variety of consumers.