In the modern era of technology, electronics play an important role in the day-to-day life. People constantly use electronic devices for communication, entertainment and studying. Parents can use electronics for different purposes. Some may use them for work, while others may use them as an instruction tool for their children’s educational needs.
Among the most useful electronics for parents, tablets are becoming prominently important. Their portability allows for flexibility in their use. It also allows close monitoring on their children’s activities. The choice of the best tablet for any mom depends on the use she intends to put it to.
Features such as screen resolutions, camera resolution, battery life and editing functionalities thus play a key role in the choice. Some of the uses that would define the choice include video calls and chats with friends and family, reading, viewing shows and movies, watching tutorials, working, listening to music, recording videos and taking photos, watching news, editing documents, and taking notes.
Best Tablet for Moms of 2020
iPad Mini Wi-Fi – 64GB
The iPad mini has a portable design that is thin and light making it easy to carry and use anywhere. Its battery life is about 10 hours, which allows for use for an entire day It has a fast Wi-Fi connection, which allows for streaming, downloading and uploading of material as well as facilitating video calls.
The iPad mini has an A12 Bionic chip with Neural Engine, giving it a high level of power and intelligence. The A12 Bionic chip makes it fast as it is able to recognize patterns and learn from experience, allowing it to make predictions. It also allows the iPad to run powerful apps such as Adobe Photoshop.
It has quality 7.9-inch display that allows for easy and comfortable reading as well as editing videos and photos. It also has antireflective coating to provide detail as well as sharp text. Its true tone adjusts white balance to make it easy on the eyes.
The iPad mini has an 8MP back Camera and a 7MP FaceTime HD Camera. The cameras allow the user to take clear photos as well as cinematic videos. The clarity of the cameras, especially the FaceTime camera facilitates FaceTime calls to friends, colleagues and family as well as scanning documents. The camera features further facilitate the planning of room décor.
The Apple pencil allows the user to draw, paint or sketch. It also enhances note taking. One can create works of art, mark up photos and screenshots, and create notes or recipes.
It has powerful apple-designed apps while also compatible to many more available on the App Store. The apps are useful for various tasks such as photo and video editing, sketching, video calls among other functions. It uses Touch ID fingerprint sensor for enhanced privacy and security. That uses the user’s fingerprint as the password.
It has accessibility features such as VoiceOver to facilitate use by those with vision, hearing and learning needs. It uses Lightning cables for support rather than USB-C cables making it incompatible with USB-C accessories.
Lenovo Smart Tab M10
The Lenovo Smart Tab M10 goes has a price of about $179. It uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 octa-core processor and offers 2GB RAM, 16GB Disk further supporting up to 256GB microSD card for more storage space. It weighs 2.1 pounds and measures 11.16 × 1.96 × 9.19 inches
• The tab has two stereo speakers with Doldy Atmos providing a solid audio quality.
• Full HD screen with a resolution of 1920 × 1200 providing sharpness in text and photos
• The screen has wide viewing angles with good color reproduction and contrast
• Switchable Children’s mode for child-friendly content
• Rubberized plastic case that offers good grip to avoid slipping from surfaces
• The Tab M10 has a USB Type-C port, allowing for compatibility with accessories
• It has an FM tuner as well as a headphone jack
• It allows access to videos and audios from sources other than those supported by the Show Mode even when docked making it appealing for smart display and media consumption.
• It comes with Netflix preinstalled although it does not support HD. It also has Skype, Microsoft Outlook and SyncIt HD preinstalled.
• The tab has a low battery life of about 8.5 hours
• The front camera is 2MP and the rear camera is 5MP. While this works well for video chats under quality lighting, it does not offer quality photos or videos
• Although it has Google Assistant, it does not run well.
• It is slow when using some powerful apps like Adobe Lightroom.
• It closes some apps in the background when switching between apps, thus limiting multitasking.
The tab has the Lenovo Smart Dock, which is a companion Bluetooth speaker that turns it into a smart speaker. It converts it to a smart display through the integrated Amazon Alexa. The smart Dock has three far-field microphones to allow Alexa pick up voice sounds from across the room. That allows easy navigation from a distance.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
The Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 costs $579.88. It weighs 1.06 pounds and measures 9.81× 6.47 × 0.28 inches. It runs on a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 octa-Core process and has a 4GB RAM and 64GB disk memory that is expandable up to 400 GB using a microSD card.
• Comes with the S Pen stylus, which allows the use to jot down notes
• Has a keyboard cover and Dex software that transforms it into a PC and the user can work with apps and programs with a familiar interface
• Has far-field mics to enable it pick voice commands and respond to them
• Provides cinematic experiences with its wide screen display
• The stylus allows note taking and sketching or drawing
• Has quad speakers as well as Dolby Atmos surrounds, providing quality audio delivery
• Charges fast and has a battery life of about 16 hours allowing for extended use for various functions throughout the day
• Allows smart connection with other devices, which allows monitoring and control
• Has an iris scanner that scans the user’s face for access
• Has Bluetooth connectivity as well as headphone jack
• Its front camera is 8MP while its rear camera is 13MP
• The gadget also has enhanced security features to allow for parental control
• It is made of glass and metal, making it slippery and easy to drop from surfaces of even from the hands
• Although Dex provides a PC experience, it reduces the touch response of the screen
• The Keypad does not have a track pad, requiring pairing with a Bluetooth mouse
Huawei MediaPad M5
The Huawei MediaPad M5 goes for about $359. It has a 8.4” 2.5D display with a 2K screen resolution of 2560 × 1600 and a pixel density of 280PPI. It weighs 10.9 ounces and measures 8.37 × 4.91 × 0.29 inches. It has a 4GB RAM and 64GB disk space and uses Kirin 960 Octa core processor.
• Its resolution gives nice and sharp text, images and videos and it has good viewing angles with a fair white balance
• It has Dual Harman Kardon-tuned speakers providing quality sound
• It uses intelligent algorithms in its HUAWEI ClariVu technology to adjust unclear frames or drops in contrast ratio when watching videos to give a better viewing experience
• It supports Hi-Res audio for quality sound, enhancing sound balance in both bass and treble
• It charges fast and provides a battery life of about 11 hours
• Its long battery life allows for prolonged use throughout the day
• It has an 8MP front camera while its rear camera is 13MP, giving quality photos and videos
• Has both Android 8 and desktop mode and can pair with a keyboard for multitasking.
• Has a fingerprint scanner for security as well as navigation
• Allows multitasking without closing apps in the background when switching between them
• Has a USB-C port for data transfer and audio as well as charging. It also supports microSD expansion
• It has WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity
• Has M Pen to allow taking notes as well as drawing and sketching. It also converts writing to text.
• It has an awkward placement of buttons
• Low Camera quality
Amazon Fire 7 Tablet
The Amazon Fire 7 tab goes for about $49.99. It has a resolution of 1024 × 600, and runs on a 1.3-GHz quad-core processor. It has a 1GB RAM and 16GB disk space expandable up to 512GB with a microSD card. Its weight is 0.65 pounds and it measures 7.6 × 4.5 × 0.4 inches.
• Allows for parental controls
• Great viewing angles
• Comes with Amazon Alexa, which allows for voice commands
• Due to the low resolution, the display is not sharp or very colorful. The images and graphics are not clear.
• The 1.3-GHz quad-core processor makes it slow
• Has only one speaker, affecting audio quality
• Battery life of 7 hours
• 2MP for both front and rear cameras
• Has a slippery shell
The different tablets have different capabilities and limitations that may influence the choice of a mom. Based on their Specs, the iPad Mini Wi-Fi appears to be an ideal choice as it has many features that would be helpful to a mom all round. Some of the issues that affect the Lenovo Smart Tab M10 include poor camera, low battery life and inability to run some apps well. T
he Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 is also a good choice though its price is high and it has a few limitations. Although the Fire 7 tab is made for entertainment, has low quality cameras, hence reducing the quality of photos or videos. Its audio quality is also poor.