Compare Upcoming tablets
New Tablets Announced in 2017
On this page we keep an eye on the new tablets announced in 2017/2018. You can use the New Tablet PC Comparison Chart to see how they stack up against each other. And since this page was started in 2012 you can scroll down and see some of the key events in the tablet industry in the last few years. Manufacturers don't always release all the tech specs so some fields will be missing at first.
Normally, the values listed in the chart are accurate for basic models of the tablet - ones with better specs may be available.
Click a column header to sort (default is chronological).
Tablet Industry News and Events
* I realised I had forgotten to update this page for a while. It was mostly just rumors about iPads and Surface 5... No loss!
* Google rumored to be collaborating with Huawei for new Nexus 7inch tablet
* Much anticipated new Lenovo Yoga Book slated for October launch - looks very cool
* Samsung Galaxy A8 2016 with Android 6.0, octa-core CPU spotted on GFXBench
* Global Tablet Shipments Slide 8% But Pro Models Raise Prices by 9%
* Remix 3.0 released; available for Google Pixel C
* Firmware update fixes Surface Pro 3 battery life
* Astronauts sequence DNA in space using Surface Pro tablets
* Dell bows out of Android tablet production to focus on Windows 2-in-1 hybrids.
* Android 7 to be called 'Nougat'
* Android 7 improves safety vs ransomware
* Galaxy Note 7 likely to include iris scanner. Iris recognition is 1000 times more accurate than fingerprint tech.
* First quarter of 2016 tablet revenues announced. Apple were the big winner with 39% of tablet revenues, while Androids were 64% of sales but only 41% of revenues. Microsoft sold 1.1 million tablets at a value of $950m.
* Lenovo showed off some prototype bendable phones and tablets.
* Surface 3 stock drying up; manufacturing to cease in December
* Samsung's new tablet has iris recognition
* Microsoft to allow Windows 10 to be used on tablets as small as 7 inches
* Surface Pro 5 rumored for early 2017 release
* Nvidia release fairly astonishing new graphics cards for PC
* J.D. Power tablet satisfaction survey puts Apple a bezel ahead of Microsoft (830 vs 829)
* General wailing and gnashing of teeth about falling PC sales (down nearly 10% year on year)
* Blackberry are experimenting with a switch to Android Marshmallow. Wait, Blackberry are still in business?
* Intel released specs for a low-cost 2-in-1 tablet design aimed at Chinese manufacturers
* You can now play Counterstrike on your Android tablet
* Ubuntu Linux tablet BQ Aquarius M10 on general sale
* Intel to rethink its tablet strategy, target high-end devices. End to cheap Atom chips?
* Liquid cooling in a tablet?
* Google Nexus 9 quietly discontinued
* Paul Thurrott muses on the tablet market
* Amazon to reintroduce encryption on Fire tablets after controversy
* Barnes and Noble finally discontinues its Nook range
* Sony rolls out Android 6.0 updates to various tablets, including the dreamy Xperia Z4
* Apple launches 9.7 inch version of its giant iPad Pro
* Microsoft starts shipping humongous 55 and 84 inch tablets called Surface Hubs
* Apple iPad Pro outsold Microsoft Surface range in the last quarter of 2015; Samsung second-placed tablet brand
* Stock traders are using 99 dollar tablets to replace 20,000 dollar terminals
* Acer plans to integrate Microsoft productivity apps onto tablets starting later this year
* Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 debuts in Indian shops
* Streaming service Hulu comes to Windows 10 - the app will be available for Windows tablets
* The iPad's near monopoly of tablet sales to the US govt is being quickly eroded by Windows tablets (see image).
* Samsung Galaxy TabPro S specs released
* Zurich ETH use mobile tablets to map and generate 3D models of buildings
* BBC reports most delegates at World Economic Forum prefer tablets to laptops
* The world's first Ubuntu tablet is expected to be released soon
* New England Patriots blame their Microsoft Surface 4s for conceding a touchdown in the AFC Championship Game (!)
* Microsoft Surface Pro 4 now available with 1TB storage
* Apple said to be working on wireless charging for mobile devices
* HP decides to exit low-priced tablets; cites increased competition
* Rumors circulate about new Nexus 7 (Google/Huawei partnership); new Samsung Galaxy S7
* Nextbook Flexx 11 released
* Acer Predator 8 - rival to Nvidia Shield series
* First major Windows 10 update
* Surface Pro 4 sells out, garners rave reviews
* Microsoft expected to gain 19% share of the tablet market by 2019
* First iPad Pros are shipped
* Survey says Australians spend more time on tablets than on desktops
* Microsoft Surface Pro 4 announcement.
* Samsung Galaxy View (large, 18.4 inch tablet) rumored specs 'confirmed'
* Lenovo unveils 27-inch monster 'Home 500' tablet
* Toshiba DynaPad specs released (on market early 2016)
* HP re-enters tablet market with HP Envy Note and Spectre x2
* Teclast x98
* NVidia Shield Tablet 2 reported to have received certification in South Korea
* Samsung Galaxy Nook 9.6"
* Panasonic attempts to be first to launch a 4K tablet - a 20" Toughpad running Windows 10
* Asus updates its Transformer Book series with the T100HA
* Deloitte says 60% of adults in the UK own a tablet
* Tablet sales thought to have shrunk 4% in 2015, set to grow 7% in 2016
* Asus begin shipping tablets with the new C-type USB port
* Sony Xperia Z4 - world's thinnest and lightest 10 inch waterproof
* iPad Pro rumors circulate
* iPad Air 2 - described as both 'the best tablet ever' and a missed opportunity. The previous month, Apple launched iOS 8
* iPad Mini 3
* Barnes and Noble teams with Samsung to produce a Samsung-branded Nook
Nvidia Shield Tablet - a gaming tablet prone to overheating
Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Samsung Galaxy NotePRO 12.2
* Panasonic Toughpad 4K
* Amazon Kindle Fire HDX
* Microsoft Surface 2
June 4 - 8, 2013
One of the largest computer exhibitions takes place every year in Taipei. This year the most innovative tablet manufacturer on show was Asus with 3 new tablet models. A new tablet OS was presented by Firefox and Foxconn.
February 25 - 28, 2013
Each February, the GSMA Mobile World Congress takes place in Barcelona, Spain. The latest trends in mobile technology were presented at this event and lot of manufacturers presented their new tablets.
February 5, 2013
Apple added a new model with 128GB storage to its iPad 4th generation line of tablets.
January 8 - 11, 2013
Mid-January saw the opening of the Consumer Electronics Show 2013 in Las Vegas Convention Center. This is one of the most important shows as plenty of new tablets are announced.
November 13, 2012
The Nexus 10, a tablet developed by Google in cooperation with Samsung was released.
October 29, 2012
New products from Google were announced on 29th of October 2012. Beside a new Nexus 4 smartphone , Google in cooperation with Samsung also extended its tablet line with a Nexus 10 model.
October 26, 2012
Official Windows 8 release date. The same day, various tablet manufacturers released their Windows 8 tablets.
October 23, 2012
At its event in San Jose, California, Apple introduced a new iPad mini and iPad 4th generation.
Google Nexus 7
Apple iPad 3
Amazon Kindle Fire
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
* Samsung Galaxy Tab
* Blackberry Playbook
Nokia 770 Internet Tablet
Various Windows XP tablets released
Apple Newton MessagePad
IBM ThinkPad 700T
GRiD Systems GRiDPad